A Day in the Life

I have been meaning to do a post like this since my daughter was 6 months old, but I am just now getting around to it.

And, of course, when I finally pick a day to write about and add in the hassle of taking pictures all day long, it turns out to be the most insane day I’ve had in a while.

I wake up at 6am, do some dry brushing and few sun salutations and then get down to computer work.

Penelope wakes at 8am. She calls out for me and I go upstairs to get her. I bring her back to my bed and we cuddle and nurse for 30 minutes. Most of this time I spend dozing. This is my favorite time of day.

A Day in the Life

When she has had enough, she says, “Goodbye Nuh-nuhs,” and asks to watch her cartoon du joir. Right now it’s Diego and random home videos of Shamu Sea World shows on YouTube.

As we walk by the back door on the way to the couch to watch tv, she tells me that we need to feed the birds. She is right, our feeder was empty. More about birds later in the post.

A Day in the Life

I get her settled on the couch watching her cartoons.

A Day in the Life

While she watches TV, I start a load of laundry and work out for 20 minutes. This is a picture of me doing squats.

A Day in the Life

Then I make the bed and clean up after my husband. Then I have an argument with him about how sick I am of having to pick up his clothes and shoes and why the hell can’t he put his shoes in the shoe bin and his dirty clothes in the effing hamper!

A Day in the Life

I do the dishes, my husband’s chore which I end up doing 90% of the time. What ever happened to fair and equal division of labor? Gah! And then I make breakfast: scrambled eggs and bacon.

A Day in the Life

I eat breakfast with Penelope and then while she finishes up the next episode of Diego, I answer a few more emails. And then I have a few more minutes to finish my closet reorganization that I have been working on the last few days. I have done it in stages and done a little bit, here and there.

A Day in the Life

Then we take a shower and start to get ready for our day. At this point, I am feeling pretty bad ass. It isn’t even 10a and I have accomplished a lot. I figured there was time for some nail polish for both me and Penelope. After our nails are painted, I was really high on the horse. All this and manicures! Oh yeah! I am super mom!

And then this happens.

A Day in the Life

Hot pink nail polish all over my very white bathroom.

Which, for whatever reason, made Penelope really upset. She might have been traumatized from yesterday’s craziness when a bird flew into our house, I screamed bloody murder and put her in our bedroom and shut the door because I was afraid it was doing to poop on her or peck her eyes out. I can’t even tell you how scared I was. Which scared Penelope. Then while the bird is flying around trying to find the open door. My crazy dog (who can seriously jump 7 feet high) jumped up and killed the bird. And then I really lost my shit. Screamed at the top of my lungs and totally unraveled. I had to have a neighbor come and deal with the bird. I just couldn’t even do it.

Anyhoo, she asked for nuh-nuhs on the bed. I know she is really upset when she asks to nurse in the bed where she can really cuddle and get the most comfort. We spend about 20 minutes there.

I spend the next 30 minutes scrubbing down my bathroom with nail polish remover trying to get it out. And, oh yeah, our house went on the market this very morning. So later when the realtor called to ask if he could show the house, I say, “Um, sorry but I have a hot-pink-nail-polish-white-bathroom-situation happening, and I will call you when it’s under control.”

We finally make it out of the house right before noon. I have to run to Target to return a swimsuit. On the way, I call a client. I know, I know, I shouldn’t drive and talk on my cell.

I decide that this day needs some Chick-fil=A, which happens to be right next door to Target, to get it back on track. I did not take a picture of this because I debated on telling you at all. But, I am human. I am all about Real Food and natural, but, dang it, sometimes you just need some Chick-fil=A to make you feel better.

Then we head to a friend’s house for a play date. That was a really nice part of our day.

A Day in the Life

Then we head home for a nap and Penelope went down without a fight. As I nursed her to sleep, I read Fifty Shades of Grey on my Kindle.

Side note, if you are nursing. BUY A KINDLE! Seriously. Why did I not get one sooner? Why am I never an early adopter? It is so nice to have something to do other than make a mental to do list while nursing (after the obligatory oohing and awwing about how wonderful it is to nurse my daughter and how cute she is when she nurses, of course).

When I come out of her room, I notice the door to my garage is open and realize my dog is gone. I didn’t shut the door all the way and he nudged it open. So instead of sitting down on the computer to bust out work like I hoped, I spend the next 30 minutes calling for him. He. is. such. a. punk.

A Day in the Life

I manage to get some work done and even more laundry after chasing my damn dog.

Penelope takes a great nap. When she wakes up, she wants to nurse again. More Mr. Grey and Miss Steele for me.

Then it’s time for a snack and to get ready for dance class. I realize I can’t find my phone anywhere. I dump my purse out onto the floor to try to find it in the never-ending black hole that sometimes is my bag. (Clearly,  I took this picture after I found my phone.)

A Day in the Life

I retrace my steps and discover that I have thrown it in the trash. I then have to clean off my phone which is now covered in the sludge and slime from the bottom of my outdoor trash bin.

Penelope plays with paint chips while I round up everything for dance class.

A Day in the Life

We get to dance class and we are both excited as it’s our favorite part of the week. I love her teacher, all the little girls, and all the dance mommies. We all live in the same neighborhood and have become a group of friends = it’s been such a wonderful year.

And then Penelope busts her lip open. She got too excited and spun too much and ate it. Blood, tears, the whole nine yards. It was painful to watch, especially since she fell due to the joy and exuberance of dancing. She loves nothing more than this dance class. But she is champ and got right back up and finished class.

A Day in the Life

After dance class, we have a sitter come play with Penelope. Penelope adores her. I had planned to use the sitter time to get work done, but I was all, “F that, we are getting dinner and drinks, let’s go.”

A Day in the Life

My husband and I have a nice dinner despite a heated argument about adoption. My husband and I argue about everything. No decision is easy for us. We are both very stubborn and neither of us like anyone telling us what to do.

Then we came home and I put Penelope to bed. I had two glasses of wine at dinner and have been immersed Fifty Shades of Grey for the last week, so me and the hubs had some *ahem* special time. We fight like cats and dogs, but we make up well.

Then it was back to work for me. I work until about midnight or later each night.

A Day in the Life

Here’s to a less crazy day tomorrow! What is a normal day like for you?

You Might Also Like

  • Shelly
    May 23, 2012 at 2:16 PM

    I LOVED this post, thank you for being so real and making the rest of us feel normal. I would love to see a post of what you and Penelope eat in a typical day.

    • Stephanie
      May 23, 2012 at 5:52 PM

      Ha! Good! I just got a text from a friend and she couldn’t believe I said so much! Typically, I eat eggs and bacon for breakfast, leftovers for lunch or some sort of salad/sandwich, for dinner its always meat, veggies and little carbs. For snack I eat nuts, milk, cheese, fruit. For desert, its whatever I want. I have no control with desserts but do keep them in moderation and try to stick to organic, gluten free and natural sugar desserts. 🙂

      • Stephanie
        May 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM

        Oh and for the record, I eat at Chick Fila probably 3 to 4 times a year.

  • laureen
    May 23, 2012 at 5:49 PM

    This post was awesome. I really need to do this with the girls. Thanks for the post inspiration!

    • Stephanie
      May 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM

      I got the idea from another blog, I can’t even remember now it’s been so long. But I originally had intended to do one day a month when she was a baby, and well you know how that goes.

  • Lydia
    May 23, 2012 at 7:16 PM

    Love this post! It’s always so interesting to me to read about other people’s days! Oh, and do NOT feel bad about the Chick-fil-A!!!! No judgment at all, we’re all human! As much as I try to eat healthy and feed my family healthy food, sometimes you just need some fries, and there is nothing wrong with that!

    • Stephanie
      May 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM

      Thank you!!!

    • Andrea Reed
      May 23, 2012 at 9:03 PM

      And Waffle fries at that!!

  • Jennifer White
    May 23, 2012 at 8:07 PM

    Thanks for the awesome post. I love how you keep all your experiences real and honest. Its good to know Im not the only one who has hectic days. On those days, we all deserve a little Chick Fil A!

    • Stephanie
      May 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM

      Amen. 🙂

  • Elizabeth
    May 23, 2012 at 8:16 PM

    Im so glad someone else is as hooked on 50 Shades of Grey as I am! My husband encourages me to read 🙂 How did you end up getting the nail polish up? Did it all come out?

    • Stephanie
      May 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM

      Ha! I want my husband to read them next!

      • Stephanie
        May 23, 2012 at 10:38 PM

        Oh and my husband ended up getting the heavy duty acetone from the hardware store and it cleaned it right up. He did have to recaulk the tile and re paint the kickstand underneath the cabinets, but it cleaned it up off the cabinets and tile perfect. I guess I shouldn’t bitch about the dishes, he did clean up that whole mess. 😉

  • mary
    May 23, 2012 at 9:21 PM

    sounds like a pretty typical day to me! These days my 2 year old lives on air, so if he says Chick-fil-a, I will drive out of my way to get it… could be worse?!?

  • Sandy H
    May 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM

    Thank you for this! Your total honesty is admirable and appreciated! Of course, now I want chick-fil-a…

    • Stephanie
      May 23, 2012 at 10:38 PM

      Ha! Don’t do it! Save the break in will power for a day you really need it. 🙂

  • Lisa Waszkiewicz
    May 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

    I feel better knowing that you eat at Chik-Fil-A 🙂 Sometimes, every soul needs a waffle fry to attain a plane of higher enlightment.

    • Stephanie
      May 23, 2012 at 10:40 PM

      I think I might have to trademark that. The Waffle Fry Road to Enlightenment. This way folks, I know the way. 🙂

  • Andrea Reed
    May 23, 2012 at 9:03 PM

    I love this! YES Chick-fil-A is EXACTLY what some days call for. Ours is next to a Target too. And that Target has a Starbucks. Those are the best days. And we have a ‘damn dog’ that gets out too. Unfortunately he used to be the baby and the be-all-end-all of our house until Wyatt came along. Now I call him ‘that damn dog’ that takes up nap time by barking and wanting (gasp) attention from me. So nice to read an honest ‘day in the life of’ post!

    • Stephanie
      May 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM

      Yes, that is the life of our dog too. He used to be so pampered. Now he is lucky if I pet him once a day. Glad you liked the post!

  • Mariam
    May 24, 2012 at 8:11 AM

    Love this post.

    How did so much happen in one day?!

    I’m really thinking about getting a Kindle specifically for nursing times…but my ten-month-old is obsessed with screens and I don’t see how it wouldn’t distract her completely/stop her from nursing. Thoughts?

    • Stephanie
      May 24, 2012 at 12:38 PM

      Well, when we are laying down nursing, I hold it at arm’s distance away and my daughter doesn’t mind. The light is not very bright and doesn’t seem to distract her. But a 10 month old is much more distractible, so I am not sure. I could never watch TV with my daughter and nurse, unless it was cartoons, and she was watching while nursing, and the Kindle doesn’t bother her. Good luck!

  • Melissa
    May 24, 2012 at 10:03 AM

    You know what I loved the most? How honest you were about arguments with your husband! We are exactly the same – both super stubborn & butt heads alot (!!!), but we always work it out fairly quickly. When I hear people say they never argue with their spouse I either don’t believe them or feel guilty about how our relationship works. But I guess that’s just it – it works. Nice to read things like this & recognise similarities with your own life 🙂

    PS – your daughter is one cutie pie!!

    • Stephanie
      May 24, 2012 at 12:41 PM

      Glad to hear that too. I feel the same way, I look around me at couples in my neighborhood and everyone seems to have flawless marriages and I wonder why it can’t be easier for us. But after almost a decade, I think it’s just gonna be how we roll. 🙂

  • Susan
    May 24, 2012 at 2:22 PM

    This was great! I’m glad other husbands suck sometimes, too, but we love them 🙂

  • Marcie
    May 24, 2012 at 3:42 PM

    I was actually reading this while nursing… My tablet has been so helpful. I can actually write a list instead of making one in my mind and forgetting it all later, I can read a book, I can check and reply to emails… It really has been the best investment

  • Amalie Stroud
    May 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM

    Sounds so much like my day, except I never get anything done.
    Exactly a week before I gave birth to my daughter our dog, a retired greyhound, went on an adventure when I left the gate open. He was missing for 3 days total. We ended up finding him at a dog track in a neighboring city. It was terrible, so much for having that week off to relax!

    • Stephanie
      May 25, 2012 at 1:06 AM

      Oh my gosh! Like someone was trying to race him?

  • Katrina
    May 25, 2012 at 3:42 AM

    Our son’s friend left our yard to go home after playing… and he didn’t shut the gate. We ate dinner, did up the dishes, then went to let our two dogs in for the night…only to discover they were not in the yard. They must have been out for at least an hour, if not longer. We found them 4 blocks away at our neighborhood dog park, a place I take them to frequently. I’m not surprised that they went there, but it scares me to think that they crossed two majorly busy streets to do it!

    • Stephanie
      May 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM

      That is so scary! I am glad they didn’t get into any dog fights. If my dog had wondered into a dog park by himself, he would have started a brawl for sure.

  • Sarah B
    May 26, 2012 at 12:06 AM

    I love this post, such a crazy day for you! Penelope is growing up so fast! I must say how insanely talented your dog is to jump and kill a bird while flying in your house!!! I would have freaked out too, and probably called my husband home immediately!

    • Stephanie
      May 26, 2012 at 2:17 AM

      Oh I did call my husband and he was in the middle of field work and could not come home. I was livid. Thank God my neighbor is a bad ass and she was not afraid to deal with the bird’s body. My dog is a physical marvel.

  • Mrs. W.
    May 26, 2012 at 5:58 PM

    Love, love, love this post your so real and true. Made for a great read. I am not a mom yet but could really connect with you on many levels throughout the day! Thanks for not being perfect!
    Mrs. W.

  • Ashley
    May 28, 2012 at 12:15 AM

    I LOVED reading this post. I have to admit, some parts made me laugh out loud, but it’s great to read posts that I’m able to connect with on a personal level. This one especially. By the way, Chik-fil-a always makes me feel better if I have a hectic day!

    • Stephanie
      May 28, 2012 at 1:20 AM

      Glad I am not the only one! 😉

  • Meghan Unger
    May 28, 2012 at 6:48 PM

    Wonderful post 🙂 I laughed at the “put your effing clothes in the hamper” comment. My husband and I have this conversation every damn morning haha.

    • Larissa
      June 7, 2012 at 4:37 AM

      Ha ha – I have utterly given up on my husband on this count. He now has, literally, a huge heap of clothing on his side of the room – NONE of it ever makes it into the laundry, which I do. About every 3 months or so, he packs up the whole lot of it, shoves it into the washing machine, heaps the dried clothes somewhere near the bed and it all starts over. Mind you, it didn’t work that way when our house was on the market!

      • Stephanie
        June 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM

        Oh my Lord, that would drive me insane. Bless you for your patience!!

  • Lindsey
    June 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM

    Thank you so much for sharing! I especially loved the parts with your husband. I feel like on all the blogs I read, they make it seem like they have the perfect marriages and never fight. Your relationship with your hubby sounds normal, and almost exactly like mine. My hubby and I argue too, also about adoption sometimes. Thank again!

    • Stephanie
      June 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM

      I know! I look at other bloggers and their life and marriages and kids all look so perfect! I would much prefer to be honest and lay it all out for everyone. 🙂