DIY

DIY Growth Chart

diy growth chart 

Isn’t it pretty? I am so freaking proud of myself for this one. I didn’t use or see a tutorial online, so I just made it up in my head and went with it. I did get inspiration to do in the first place from Etsy, but then I just kind of looked at it figured it out in my head how to do it!

DIY Growth Chart

First, put baby on the floor to play happily, so you can get down to bidnez. Isn’t her outfit ridiculous? It’s so over-the-top cuteness, but I love it. It has a matching beret hat, but it was just too much.

DIY Growth Chart

Then cut out your fabric, in a long rectangle. I didn’t write down what my measurements were, and I am too lazy to go upstairs and measure it for you all, so just go with your gut. I made it so you have to hang it 2 feet up from the ground and the chart goes to 6 feet total. Pin the two pieces of fabric right sides facing. Then sew all around the edges, but leave a hole to turn it inside out, as if you were making a pillow.

Then I cut out the straps to hang the growth chart, again I don’t have measurements for you, sorry. Just use your eye. Both if you want. 🙂  For these you cut out rectangular strips again, and fold them down the midline, right sides facing. Sew a long the long edge, leaving the ends open. Then turn them inside out. You can use this tutorial as a good example.

   DIY Growth Chart 

To sew the straps, I just inserted them into my hole (that’s what she said…sorry couldn’t resist a “that’s what she said joke!), I mentioned above to be able to turn the growth chart inside out, and pined in place. You could also do it like I did here, when I made the Crinkly Baby Toy. I looped them over the hanger and lined them up nice and even (or so I thought-shesh you can even see it in the picture that they are laying on a slope) before pinning them in place.

Then I sewed a top stich all the way around.

Isn’t the fabric beautimus? I had enough left over to make this dress for P.

DIY Growth Chart 

Then came the fun part. Not. See all those little lines. I sewed them all. I did a zig zag stich and went over each twice to make them each a darker, thicker line. It. Took. Forever. First, I used a ruler to measure the distance make out the lines with a pencil.

Then I made little flowers with covered buttons to be markers for each foot. I had intentions of hand embroidering the numbers in the center, but I got so burnt out from the sewing the lines and just wanted to get the damn thing finished, that I just took a brown sharpee and wrote the number in. From a distance it looks fine, but up close the marker bled a bit into the fabric.

And p.s I made the dress P is wearing. And this is my new hair cut!

You Might Also Like

  • Molly
    September 9, 2010 at 5:06 PM

    This is gorgeous! We need to come up with your new company name because you could honestly start selling this stuff.

  • Maureen
    September 9, 2010 at 6:09 PM

    I agree with Molly!! Love it!

  • Stephanie
    September 10, 2010 at 2:19 AM

    Thanks guys! Even if I could find someone to buy these, it took me way too long to make to have a decent profit margin. Much easier ways to make money!