Ad Spot Post
I have been aching to do a detox pretty much since Penelope was 6 months old, but back then I didn’t think I had any options since I was breastfeeding.
Now, I am able to do a full detox, but I wanted everyone to be able to join in, so I am listing all sorts of ideas you can do whether your children are older, or if you are pregnant/nursing.
As you read through what I am doing, please pick and choose what works for you to join in. Don’t feel like you have to do exactly what I am doing to participate.
In Ayurveda, a popular cleanse/detox is called panchakarma. It focuses not only on cleansing bodily toxins, but emotional ones as well. They believe that physical and emotional toxins are the root of all diseases.
I have been doing detox/cleanses, about once a year, for almost a decade. I have experimented with several and the panchakarma is the one like the best. Maybe I am partial to it, its the cleanse I did a few months before I conceived my daughter, Penelope.
I do not feel like I am at my full strength yet after my miscarriage so I don’t feel like doing a strong detox is a good idea for me right now.
So I have come up with a mild, combination one, that I think you will like too. I am also not going to do it very long. The fasting part will probably only be 3 days, 5 days, max. Usually a cleanse/detox runs at least 10 days.
Here is what I will be doing:
- Every morning I will be doing dry brushing all over my body. Sluffing off dead skin cells and toxins.
- I will take a shower every morning and visualize the water cleansing my energetic body of any lingering sadness/anger that is clinging to me.
- I will also spend some time in my morning shower, and evening bath doing some breath awareness and/or meditation and prayer.
- I will do 10 to 15 minutes of oil pulling after my shower. Be sure to follow the link and read the full post on how to do this, properly washing out your mouth when you are done and washing out the sink once you spit out the oil (or just spit out in the trash).
- I will use my netti pot once or twice a day, in the morning and before bed. Snot and mucus is a way for toxins to get out of your body, so you may have much more than usual. You will not believe the amount of yeast, toxins and bacteria that are all up in your sinuses. This flushes them on out.
- Then I will drink a glass of hot water with lemon before anything else. All my water consumption will be lemon water.
- Throughout the day I will only drink raw milk, kombucha, herbal detox teas and maybe some homemade broth.
- I will rest as much as I can, napping with my daughter instead of working, going to bed early, etc. I will have to get up earlier in the morning to do my morning detox routine before my daughter wakes up.
- I hope to go to several hot yoga classes, I will take it easy and not push myself in class, but I want to be in a hot room, so I can sweat. If you have access to a sauna or sweat lodge that would be great.
- Every night before bed, I am going to give myself a self massage. In a true panchakarma, you are supposed to use a specific oil based on your dosha, but I am just going to use what I have on hand (almond oil). This massage does not need to be perfect, just make sure that your strokes go towards your heart. Your groin and your armpits are where a lot of lymphatic glands are, and those glands do a lot of the heavy lifting of flushing out toxins in your body, so also send strokes in the direction of your lymph nodes.
- After the self massage, I am going to take an epsom salt bath. Epsom salt helps draw out toxins through your skin and helps you cope with any detox symptoms. I use about 4 to 5 cups per bath.
- I plan on having a professional massage in the middle of my cleanse.
- I am also going to do a foot soak detox with a local practitioner. If you don’t have access to someone who does this, you could also get some of those foot detox pads that stick to the bottom of your feet and draw out toxins.
- I have an appointment scheduled with a local energy healer. I love going to her because she does the first half of the session as traditional talk therapy and the last half I get on the massage table for energy work. It is the best of both worlds, for true and lasting healing.
- And for the grand finale, on the last day of my cleanse, I am going to get a colonic. Oh, yes. It will make a for a great post, I’m sure. All the toxins usually ends up in your colon, as the final way to get out of your body. Unless you have perfect digestion, parts of fecal matter get stuck in your in
inal walls, harden and create blockages and also prevent nutrients from being absorbed. They also eventually start leaking out into your body (leaky gut syndrome) causing a whole host of auto immune responses like allergies. You could do a home enema if you don’t feel comfortable going somewhere to get a colonic.
If you are pregnant or nursing, this is what you can do:
- Drink lemon water. This is a very, very mild detox. Toxins will be going into the blood stream, but you will pee them out just like normal from the work your liver does on a daily basis.
- Dry brushing. This is a way for you to detox straight through your skin. Nothing is going into the blood stream or into your in
ines to get out. It is leaving straight from your skin.
- Oil pulling. Same thing. The toxins are leaving straight out your gums, not into your blood stream. Be sure to follow the link and read the full post on how to do this, properly washing out your mouth when you are done and washing out the sink once you spit out the oil (or just spit out in the trash).
- Netti Pot is just fine for everyone.
- All the yoga, visualization, breath awareness or mediation you want!
- Self massage. Massage is so wonderful anytime of your life, especially when you are pregnant. Again, remember to go towards your heart.
- Epsom salt baths. This is super mild and a great way to relax. Use about two cups.
- Eat as clean as possible. Avoid all processed foods, sugar and caffeine. Reduce your grain intake or go gluten free. Eat organic foods, with no chemicals for food dyes. Raw milk is so wonderful for everyone, especially pregnant and nursing moms, because your gut, is the gut you are giving your child. The more beneficial bacteria you have, the healthier you are and the healthier your baby is. I am not saying to do a raw milk fast, but to add it into your diet if you can. The food part, for you, is more about giving your digestion and body a rest, a chance to recuperate and heal, not to detox. So just do whatever you can to eat mild, easy to digest foods.
- Yeast cleanse. You can take herbs that help you kill off yeast. If you or your baby has thrush, or you have had a yeast infection while pregnant, I highly recommend this.
A few more notes:
If you are trying to do this cleanse without sugar or caffenine for the first time, I highly recommend taking some amino acids to help you with the cravings. Start taking them a few days before the cleanse, and try to gradually decrease your intake of caffeine and sugar (ie. resist the urge to go out big and binge the night before the cleanse starts). L-Glutamine is what you need to help with sugar/carb cravings and L-Tyrosine is what you need to help with caffeine cravings.
Be very gentle with yourself and do whatever you can do. If you have a cookie one day, oh well, just stay calm and carry on. Any little thing you do to cleanse will be beneficial to your overall health. Take baby steps and be proud of yourself, for whatever you accomplish.If you want to do a stronger detox/cleanse, you can increase the amount of detox teas you drink. Or take some herbal supplement pills from Renew Life, they have several different detox options; yeast, first cleanse, metal, and parasites.
Lastly, consider yourself warned about detox symptoms. They are different for everyone but this is not the fun part of a cleanse. This is the part, where you have to solider on and walk through the pain to get to the good stuff.
I tend to feel achy, get a headache, my lymph nodes swell, and I get very tired. Sometimes my nose runs or I sneeze. There are a ton of different reactions your body can have. Your body is trying to get everything out. Through whatever means possible. So just be very self and body aware and notice any small changes. Doing a milder detox should give you milder symptoms. If you eat pretty clean normally, you may not have many symptoms. If you eat horrible, you many have more. Take additional epsom salt baths to help you cope. Also, if you are doing energy healing for the first time, you may have physical detox symptoms solely from that.
I think that is everything! Who’s in?
I am going to start on Friday and go till about Tuesday the following week (the actual day of Spring Equinox). I am just gonna play it by ear and see how I feel.
If you have any questions at all, please let me know in the comment section. As you go through your detox, please come back here and share your experiences, so others can learn and benefit.
Here’s to a healing and transformative Mind/Body/Spirit Spring Cleaning Detox!