In case you haven’t noticed, I have a thing for tomatoes. I love to use them in recipes and I love to eat them perfectly plain. I find it most satisfying to grow and can my own tomatoes and use them in our meals throughout the year.
Green and Fried?
Besides being a famous movie and a staple dish in the South, Fried Green Tomatoes are one of the most satisfying side dishes.
I know it might be a little early for a Fried Green Tomatoes recipe, especially since for most of us this warm winter turned into a long, extended winter and tomatoes got in the ground a lot later this year. But if you are in Florida like me, green tomatoes are already coming! And when they’re covered with an almond flour batter spiced and parmesan-cheese’d up, they are outstanding (and grain free!).
This healthy Fried Green Tomatoes recipe is very similar to my grain free chicken nugget recipe. The day I made these, I had some green tomatoes and leftover batter from the chicken nuggets and thought, well, I will kill two birds with one stone and use up both!
The outcome was heavenly!
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 1 egg and a dash of milk for the egg bath.
- 1 cup of almond flour
- 1/3 cup of parmesean cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 6 medium green tomatoes
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Mix egg and dash of milk in a bowl
- Slice green tomatoes a 1/4 of an inch thick
- Turn on heat to medium high in a cast iron skillet to heat up some cooking fat
- Dip tomato slices in egg yolk and then flour mixture and place in the skillet once cooking fat is melted and bubbly
- Cook on each side for about 2 minutes, or until brown and crispy
- Devour your plate of fried green tomatos!
Do you like fried green tomatoes?