Some health experts will tell you that if you eat perfectly then you don’t need any supplements. Other experts say, even if you eat perfectly, you still can’t meet all your nutritional needs without supplements.
Although I am certainly not an expert, I am in the other camp, and I am a big fan of supplements. I don’t even eat perfectly yet, but I also agree that it is really hard to get everything you need from food consistently even if you do eat absolutely perfect.
I took my dear friend Lindsey, to New Leaf Market the other day. New Leaf Market is a great little co-op natural food store in my hometown. They can be a wee bit snotty, but overall it is an amazing resource. I can even buy raw milk in the store!
Anyway, we went shopping together because she was a little overwhelmed with the supplement choices and she wasn’t sure what her 2 year old son needed, but she new he was lacking in some nutrients and wanted help.
So we went up and down the isles together and I showed her the brands I like and use for Penelope.
Here is what we got:
If your child has some serious issues like eczema, epilepsy or even cancer I highly suggest taking an herbal supplement called Protandim. Please email me if you want more information.
Here are the brands I like best for each supplement:
- Cod Liver Oil: Green Pastures. They do not make chewables anymore, so I get the liquid and put it into Penelope’s smoothies. If she doesn’t have any smoothie on a given day, I give her a chewable version I get from Earth Fare. Nothing compares to Green Pastures, but if you can’t afford it or can’t get your child to take it in liquid form, a chewable version is fine. Or even better, slather it on their butt during one diaper change a day. The oil and nutrients get absorbed right through the skin! This is a another brand that I have also tried and Penelope will tolerate the lemon flavor in smoothies as well.
- Vitamin D: Solaray makes a sugar free, flavored chewable tablet.
- Vitamin C: I like Hyland’s best
- Multivitamin: I use Shaklee’s Kids. Penelope loves them and they have no sugar or food coloring or yucky fillers. And I like supporting a mom who is running a network marketing business. For a powdered version that is also probiotics, Garden of Life, Raw Probiotics Kids is a brand I like.
- Probiotics: Nature’s Way makes a loose powder form which is great for slipping into smoothies or bottles of milk. Even a newborn should get probiotics. You can sprinkle some on your nipple before the baby latches on, or sprinkle some on their tongue.
- *Update* I also give Penelope Natural Calm some days. It’s great for calming down their nervous system to help them fall asleep at night and it’s great for constipation too.
Please be clear, I am not a certifiable expert in supplements, this is just what I do for Penelope, based on lots of research. I am not an MD, nor am I doling out medical advice.
I also use my intuition as a guide once I do my research. If I feel in my gut that she needs two things of vitamin C one day if a cold is coming on, or two things of Vitamin D if she is teething. I go with my gut. If I forget to give her everything one day, I take it as a sign from my higher self that she didn’t need it.
What supplements do you give your child?